Friday, June 28, 2013

Ending up



I never sat in a Mustang. I never travelled without a plan or even lavishly. I never was rented a whole villa in Goa. I never had sex in a swimming pool. I was never whisked away to a luxurious resort for a weekend of passion. I never received immediate support at the drop of a hat (or heart in your previous case). I never had the guts to not worry about money I was costing you.

Instead, I had to wonder if you’ll stick it out with me in the labour room, because number one’s hospital visits anguished you. I always doubt my intelligence, because you are all praise about number two’s brains. I never shared my horrific first experience of sex, but number two not only was heard but was embraced for her psychological wounds. I never received your family’s immediate approval, but number one still seems to have it. Where I am doubted, number one was loved unconditionally. I fought for you, at a time when you fought for number two. You ‘fixed’ number two’s life, your friend had to remind you to help with mine after 5 years of marriage. You could sleep with number one even when you loathed her (you said that), but you can’t even hug me well after I gave birth to your kid.

It’s funny how the one you finally end up with is the one who will receive the least amount of…well, anything.

No comments: