Friday, June 28, 2013

'The whole 10 centimeters' series: 1. The first outpour



Have you ever noticed how almost every mother you meet will share the joyous, silly, fun and beautiful aspects of being a mother? Yep, motherhood is awesome. When you first see your baby, the first kiss, the first cuddle, the first eye-to-eye contact, the first smile… overall, the first connects. They are precious and to be cherished. But no one tells you the difficulties of being a mother, especially a first time mother. I’d like to be that person.

I worked very hard during my pregnancy to have a ‘normal’ delivery. I was ridiculously fit (I freaking climbed a mini hillock when I was 9 months pregnant), I ate healthy, I went to work till the very end…I was very happy throughout my pregnancy. While I was warned I may have a c-section coz I am a tiny person, I was also encouraged to try to go the normal delivery route. I went into spontaneous labour 2 days before my due date. I was in labour for 37 hours. Of that, I went without an epidural or any other type of pain relief for over 20 hours. I even went off the epidural when I was 8 centimeters. Why? Coz without the epi the contractions come stronger and faster aiding in delivery. Let me tell you, to come off the epi at that stage with your baby’s head descending...it’s like going to hell and never coming back. But I persevered. I did my squats, I did my breathing exercises and held onto my positive attitude during this time. And what did little Anica do? She decided that entering the world face down is not as much fun as sideways. Despite the doctor’s telling me that the baby and my life was at stake, I pushed on (literally and figuratively) for a further 4 hours. I was devastated when there was no other choice but be wheeled in for a c-section. By the time my baby came out, I was woozy and simply not with it. It’s like a hazy, hazy dream. I lost out on the most fantastic, out of the world experience because I was all hopped up on the damn epidural during my labour. The world of pregnancy and childbirth puts so much pressure on the ‘natural and normal’ path that some mothers, such as myself, feel tremendous compulsion to take that route. I felt such consuming guilt that I was willing to risk my life and my baby’s just to fulfill the definition of a ‘good birth’ that will in some convoluted way make me a ‘good mother’. 

Having gone through such a long, painful labour followed by an emergency c-section (when it’s emergency, the doctors don’t handle your insides as gently…they are there to save a life), I was so tired that I couldn’t feed Anica that very night. She had to go on formula. This when the baby latched like a dream. I experienced no pain while feeding. It was like a lactation consultant’s ideal scenario. I just couldn’t follow through to the subsequent night feeds coz I was so zoned out. And let’s not forget that my husband and mom were by my side throughout the ordeal, so they were equally worn out by night time. So Anica was short-changed again. It took me 10 days to get her off formula and exclusively breastfeed. But during this transition, she became very hungry (coz the milk takes some days to come) and got colicky. She would cry in such unbearable pain, causing more gas to enter, making her feeds more difficult. I was unhappy, she was unhappy, my husband was unhappy, my parents were unhappy. Anica started scaring me. I didn’t want to hold her anymore. I wanted to get away from her. I felt like a bad mother for not feeding my baby. Everyone told me it’s my fault…I wasn’t eating right, I wasn’t eating enough, I wasn’t happy, I wasn’t trying. I did everything that everyone told me…I was like an uneducated zombie following the dictates of others. Nothing worked. Anica was hungry and my milk wasn’t enough. I felt that I was not enough. After 4 weeks of this torture, my childhood pediatrician suggested I get her back on alternate formula and breastfeeds until she gets strong enough. That’s the first permission I got to go on formula. It took me a further 2 weeks to get over the guilt of feeding my baby formula. I was denying my kid the closeness of skin contact, the ‘power’ of breastmilk. I had to cast my consuming guilt aside and feed her the formula since her 4th week. Anica became healthy, she started getting cute and chubby, she was smiling and playing lots more. While I still am working through my guilt of not breastfeeding exclusively, I know that it doesn’t make me a bad mother. I’m beginning to realize that breastfeeding isn’t the definition of motherhood. Being happy for your kid is probably a better definition?

 The world of parenting doesn’t give you permission to be anything but perfect. Our society doesn’t show us the difficulties of parenthood. Just look at your Facebook account. Has anyone ever told you that labour is damn painful? That a c-section is ok? Formula is ok? That they had to make decisions that were not from the parenting bibles or gods out there? No…all the mothers are supermoms…at least to the world outside they gotto be. Everyone puts up pictures of their cute babies. No one puts up pics of the kid who refuses to sleep, the kid who will make your life go upside down, the times when you feel so…useless coz you can’t take care of your baby ‘perfectly’. I crumbled under that pressure. I had no one who told me that the most important thing was being happy and making sure your baby is happy. Whatever way you get there is irrelevant. 

I’m not saying that I won’t put up pics of my cutie pie. But I will acknowledge that she is the cause of many challenges I face – I will put up those pictures too. If she happens to still look cute, then I guess she’s one of a kind! Parenting is no breeze. There is no rulebook. No one can tell you what’s correct. Only you know what’s correct.

I’m a good mother in a way that I define a good mother. I wish I had the strength to believe in that completely.

No comments: